Re: [OM] OT: McCulloch blower repair

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: McCulloch blower repair
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:11:53 -0500
I've never owned a leaf blower but assumed their designs are all pretty
much the same.  I checked YouTube using [ leaf blower pull cord ] as
search terms and came up with pull cord replacement on several other
brands.  On most of those the impeller nut loosening was so easy that it
wasn't even shown except for final removal with fingers.  One showed
using an air impact wrench but there was no real indication that that
was necessary.  In any case the construction of all of these units was
pretty much the same as regards access to and removal of the impeller.

I guess I'm surprised that you can't easily remove the impeller nut.
The impellers shown are quite large diameter (6-8") and the impeller
shafts appeared to be small in comparision (perhaps 5/16" or 3/8").  If
it doesn't loosen easily with you just hand holding the impeller I would
look for either rust on the threads or thread lock.  If the threads are
rusty it may be necessary to soak them with a solvent like "Liquid
Wrench" and perhaps for several days.  If there is thread lock like
LockTite on them I don't know how to handle that except via heat.  It
requires heating to 475-500F with a heat gun or soldering iron.  But I
don't know how your plastic impeller would handle that.

If the threads are just rusty and you still can't get the nut off after
soaking in a solvent I think I'd take it to a local garage where they
have an impact wrench and ask them to hit it with the impact wrench.  I
should think holding the impeller by hand should be sufficient.

ps:  I also discovered this little tutorial on tying "stopper knots" in
pull cords <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxYjqUm5G7I>

Chuck Norcutt