Re: [OM] OT: McCulloch blower repair

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: McCulloch blower repair
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:38:24 -0500
I hadn't thought of the possibility of left-hand threads either.  But
before possibly making the situation worse by tightening the nut rather
than loosening it you can tell if the threads are left-hand or not by
examining the threaded shaft if the threads extend a little bit beyond
the nut (which they probably do).  Just take a peek at the threads and
you'll figure out whether they are left or right.

I assumed at first that one could tell by looking only at the direction
of rotation of the impeller.  I thought that a good mechanical design
would have the nut loosen by turning in the same direction as the
impeller moves when operating.  That way start-up toque and forces
applied by the air would apply pressure on the impeller in the opposite
direction and tend to tighten the nut in operation rather than loosen
it.  But, no, that doesn't work.  I've forgotten the brand name but one
of the YouTube videos clearly shows a unit whose impeller turns
clockwise but has a right hand thread which loosens when turned
counter-clockwise.  That's probably the engineer's decision that
right-handed threads are about the only thing that will be understood in
the US even if it doesn't (IMHO) make the best mechanical sense.

Chuck Norcutt