Re: [OM] Dark eyed Junco

Subject: Re: [OM] Dark eyed Junco
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:50:29 -0500
I think your problem with the manual focus method is that your "near the
same distance" may not be precise enough.  I've calculated that your
depth of field at 18 feet and f/5.6 is approx 6" pretty evenly
distributed ahead of and behind the subject.  At f/8 it's approx 12"
also pretty evenly distributed.  The circle of confusion I'm using
should allow a good 8x10" print.  The depth of field will be better than
that if only web images are needed.

What I don't understand is why you have to have a proxy focus target
elsewhere for manual focus.  Since the camera is on a tripod and in a
fixed position I should think you could attach a "fake bird" in that
position long enough to get a good manual focus established.  Then just
leave it that way.  Closing down to f/8 will give you more leeway on
depth of field but will reduce resolution on your small sensor.

Chuck Norcutt