Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:41:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>> True. But Georgia was a penal colony as well. I've said often that the US
>>> would be a much different place,
>>> and perhaps never have fought an unnecessary war for Independence, if the
>>> Old World has burned its nut
>>> cases at the stake as would have been proper and fitting. <g>
>>>

>>     That would be a useful method even now.  We could use worn out tyres to
>> fuel the pyre and set up a small
>>power generating facility.
>

>Smashing, old chap! Simply smashing!
>
>What's a tyre? <wink>

     Some time ago I got tired of the conflicting spellings of American and OED
English, and being half British I felt some allegiance to the crown and
"proper" English usage and spelling.  When I began doing technical writing I
reverted to OED spelling, including the usage of diacritical markings that were
last used by the NY Herald in the 1950s.  You can find that usage in the
fascimilies of the original publications of Jack London's writings.

     I don't know of any other people who use American spelling, nor do I know
of any usage of the old English (aka fractional) measurement system outside
America.  But that does not hinder Americans from claiming that they are first
and foremost.  That underscores the underlying barbaric nature of American
culture.

     If you were to judge American cuisine in Europe by way of the numerous
McDonald's and Burger King franchises, you would get the (somewhat correct)
impression that Americans are gastronimically impoverished to an extreme.

Chris