Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:55:06 -0700
>      I don't know of any other people who use American spelling, nor do I
> know of any usage of the old English (aka fractional) measurement system
> outside America.  But that does not hinder Americans from claiming that they
> are first and foremost.  That underscores the underlying barbaric nature of
> American culture.

Underlying barbaric nature of American culture? Nah, hardly. We gave
the world Hollywood, Rock and Roll and Country music. Hmm....... I
think you might be on to something.

>      If you were to judge American cuisine in Europe by way of the numerous
> McDonald's and Burger King franchises, you would get the (somewhat correct)
> impression that Americans are gastronimically impoverished to an extreme.

American cuisine is, for the most part, a homogenized blend of global
foods. La Choy makes Chinese food swing American. Since WW2, we've
become a nation of pizza. There are still great differences in foods
from one region to another. For a person, like me, who has travelled
extensively (all but 4 states), seeing the familiar yellow "M" is a
life saver when you aren't overly sure if you stomach is up to the
task of eating the local fare. This was especially true for us in
Ireland, which tends to not to be exactly gastronomically pleasing or
exciting from one eatery to the next.

However, in defence to our gastronimically impoverished nature, one
must consider that we Americans tend to be open to eating a far
greater range of ethnic foods than anywhere else in the world. Proof
of this was just this Sunday evening at our church, were we almost
always make it a point to have international foods. (We've got a stash
of hot dogs in the freezer just in case the kids threaten a hunger
strike). This past one saw foods from every continent. And they all
were not only very good but authentic. (I did both Thailand and
Italy--talk about fusion).

AG

--
Ken Norton