Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:55:07 -0700
> Congrats on the new wheels. It's a fun car for sure. Hope it serves you well
> and keeps you safe for a long time!

Thank you. I've been a Jeep person for ages. I continue to be a Jeep
person. But I've also enjoyed a little bit of the finer vehicles in
life, such as the RX-7 and an Audi A4. Even my bicycles tend to be a
bit more high-end. The X5 is a pleasure to drive. It's a big and heavy
vehicle, but it handles extremely well. And, more importantly, it is
comfortable. Jeep has changed the driver seat/position a bit in the
latest couple generations and it no longer works for me. After an hour
of driving, I'm ready for a park bench.

I've been looking for a vehicle that I can go extended ownership
again. I was hoping the last X5 would do it, but Rudolph changed those
plans. This one is an upgrade (and has lumbar) so I might go nuts with
it and hold onto it for a zillion years. We'll see. I'm hoping that I
can reduce the amount of miles I drive every year. That would help
extend the life of the vehicle. I put 12,000 miles on this X5 in just
four months! I'd be tickled pink if I can get that down to my annual
average. I've been averaging over 20,000 miles a year for the past
dozen years. The new job allows me to work from home most days, so
this might be a good thing.

The only thing that I'm really disappointed in is losing the panoramic
sunroof. But those things also rattle and have wind noise, so maybe
I'm better off with the normal sunroof. It is quieter.

Unbeknownst to me, but suspected, my X5 had previous damage on the
same location. Unfortunately, that damage appears to have actually
bent the body a tiny bit. When it was reassembled, there were a number
of bolts missing--like only half of them holding the bumper on! Makes
me wonder if the deer damage would have been less if everything was
reassembled correctly. But likely not, because then the airbags would
have deployed instead. Regardless, I'm pleased with how this all
turned out.

Hmm. Is BMW the new Zuikofest People Mover?

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx