Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:22:17 -0700
> I was reading an article just recently about the number of
> microprocessors in modern cars.  I don't recall the exact number but 168
> seems to be in the ball park... up from the 90 or so of my 1999 Chrysler
> LHS.  The article said the vast majority of these processors are either
> 4 or 8 bit devices but the upper end of the hierarchy will usually
> contain 2-3 32 bit processors of roughly equal power to an Intel 386.

Well, it only makes sense. But the common thing of calling them
"computers" seems a bit overstated. Take the gas peddle in the X5.
It's an electronic send device. Is there a microprocessor in the
housing? Yes, of course. Is it doing anything other than determining
throttle position and passing that information on to the fuel
management system? No, not really.

Most of these microprocessors are localized single-purpose devices.
Anti-lock brakes? Yup. At least five computers JUST for the braking
system, with vehicles having traction control kicking that up to nine
or more. Do you enjoy your driver window going all the way down on
it's own if you push the button a certain way? Yup. A computer.

In reality, they could consolidate everything down to a single
computer, but that defeats the modular design and cost management.
Imbedding a low-cost single-purpose microprocessor in 200 things is
less expensive than trying to get one mega computer to work covering
everything. Besides, "Blue Screen of Death" takes on new meaning when
the computer running your brakes locks up and reboots.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx