[OM] Whither Adobe CC, was: Adobe LR/PS photographer package

Subject: [OM] Whither Adobe CC, was: Adobe LR/PS photographer package
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:21:52 -0500
I was in the same boat.  Adobe lost my password and it was also one that
I had used on several other sites so had to scramble around changing
them.  I was surprised at myself since I wouldn't normally reuse a
password that had a credit card number or anything else important
associated with it.  The other sites where I had used it did not have
anything of importance but I've changed them anyhow.  But at this point
I'm not concerned about Adobes's security with respect to my credit
card.  They've probably learned an important lesson (as have I) and
their security now is probably better than some other sites who also
have my credit card.  And, if you have an Adobe account it doesn't
matter if you do occasional purchases or recurring purchases... they
still have your credit card number.

But that brings me to the real reason why I'm responding.  You say that
the price for Creative Cloud is about what you were already spending for
upgrades to Lightroom and PS Elements and you'll be better off since you
get full PhotoShop instead of Elements.  Perhaps what you're not
considering is what this link calls "Captive Consumer" rather than
"Creative Cloud".
<http://www.keptlight.com/2013/05/creative-cloud-or-captive-consumer/>

What I now understand after reading this piece is that, although CC
gives you downloadable software, this software is not usable in
perpetuity.  When your contract is over or you cancel it the software
you've downloaded doesn't work anymore.  It could also include loss of
access to software that handles proprietary data formats and thus loss
of your own data.  So at $9.95/month it might be a good deal but, if the
price rises to $14.95 or 19.95/month after the first year and you decide
to cancel, you will have no software at all.  Furthermore, if you take
this deal you've signed a one year contract with a cancellation penalty
of 50% of the remaining contract obligation.

I'm not going there under any circumstances.  It's quite possible, I
suppose, that CC will be the only product in the future and I'll be
unable to upgrade ever again if there is no CS7.  Well, if that's what
happens I just have to get off the upgrade mill.

Chuck Norcutt