Re: [OM] PShop CC offer

Subject: Re: [OM] PShop CC offer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 21:01:44 -0800
On 11/23/2013 8:17 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> I just took a look - the $9.99 is good for 12 months, then it renews at
> "the current offer price", whatever the hell that is.  I wish I knew
> what I was getting into...
>
> Now, I already own LR 5, so I would just download the PS part and use
> the non-rental LR.  But the "current offer price" has me a bit
> concerned.  What if it jumps from $9.99 to $49.99/mo?  Can't find
> anything on the website that indicates a "normal" price.
> OK, I just found the "single app" price, and it's $19.99.  So, if that's
> what it stays at, then PS would double in price at the end of the year.
> I guess that would be enough time to decide if I'm getting enough out of
> it to justify that, and, if not, to finalize any edits so I don't have
> anything I can't open anymore.

Adobe is feeling out the market. They weren't moving enough product at $20, so
they decided to try something else. They
want to maximize profit, but want to maintain market share, as well.

They know no better than you what the "current offer price" will be in a year.
They are going to be looking very closely
at income and market share. They will also be surveying both previously
licensed users, to see what they think,
especially now that all the Joe blows get the same deal, and new CC users, to
see what they think the value equation is.

They'll also be watching those who signed up early for non-renewers. I'm pretty
sure this is the first part of an idea
that they hope will get rid of the distinction between those who paid the
treadmill prices for years and new users. With
time, it would become awkward.

Unless something has changed drastically, CC will not replace your existing LR,
nor my existing PSCS6. If we try CC, and
don't renew in a year, we'll be able to go back, only losing whatever new
functionality has come along in the meantime.

Also, inevitably, CC will be cracked by hackers. Whether you or I would choose
to go that way, it puts another downward
pull on prices. Too high, and the combination of folks defecting to other
editors and going with a cracked version will
kill total income.

We're not talking life and death here. :-)

No Chicken Little Moose