Re: [OM] PShop CC offer

Subject: Re: [OM] PShop CC offer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:24:02 -0800
On 11/24/2013 7:33 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Applied Moose writes:
>
>>> Lens Correction has profiles for µ4/3 lenses. Unlike ACR, it allow one to
>>> use them or not and, if one is using one, to
>>> make manual adjustments to it
> That is just weird and Moose has mentioned that before.  With Canyon
> lenses one can use them or not  in ACR and adjust the amount.

I believe the distinction may be between profiles developed after the fact, for
camera bodies that do no correction,
such as Canyon, and those developed by the lens maker, reported to the body by
the lens and used by the camera body to
generate its JPEG output.

In the latter case, using them without choice in Raw conversion makes the Raw
conversions geometrically equivalent to
the JPEGs. Otherwise, confusion; "I was told to shoot Raw for better results,
but now my Raw images look different than
the JPEGs."

It's also possible that Oly gave them all the lens correction data, on
condition that it always be applied.

Also the reason manufacturers' Raw development apps use the same algorithm as
in the camera JPEG engines.

> Sometimes wish to use less vignetting or geometric distortion
> correction--latter as framing may become not acceptable.

Hmmm. I haven't tested, nor am I sure how to do so, but I believe the LCD or
EVF view used for framing is already
corrected. Remember, no optical viewfinder at all, you never see the direct
optical output of the lens. So the issue
than you encounter with the 5DII is likely moot.

> DXO allows adjusting any corrections and the highlight recovery is
> better in ver 9.
> As far as CA correction  with Oly --- from the Adobe forum :
>
>    "Specifically, support for metadata-driven (opcode-based) lateral
> chromatic aberration for the E-M1 will be added in the next dot
> releases of ACR and LR.

That's interesting. They don't mention specifically the one new lens, so one
might assume they mean for all µ4/3 lenses?
I don't recall if Zuikos provide the correction info. I know Panny does, their
bodies correct for it in the JPEGs and
Olys do not.

If the data is there, could they not correct for it in Raw conversion for all
Oly µ4/3 bodies? That would be different
than camera JPEG output, but better and in a relatively subtle way. Oly Viewer
3 provides sliders for CA correction, but
no Auto option.

Does the E-M1 correct CA?

More Questions Moose