Re: [OM] IMG: Meals on Wheels, Alternate

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Meals on Wheels, Alternate
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:05:58 -0800
On 11/25/2013 1:08 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> PESO:
>
> I got the message.  Too much processing!  How about this straight scan,
> sharpened slightly, slight vignette, reduction of saturation, reduction of
> clarity:

Whew!!!

That first one just set me off. I felt like my eyes had been bludgeoned and
that old lady had been visually mugged.

You are technically a good photographer, but what really sets your work apart
is its humanity. You bring both a
compassionate sensibility to your choice of subject, composition, etc. and an
ability to relate to people so that their
nature comes out in the images.

In the first version here, the processing plays exactly against your strength,
dehumanizing your subject.

It seems to me that this image has been betrayed by flash. The square of
distance law, and probably polyester, which
glows like another light source in flash, have resulted in the close, bright
parts being way too bright, making her face
look like it belongs in a different image.

I think this mitigates most of the flash problem.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Meals_On_Wheels.htm>

I may have made her face seem too light; I wasn't there. OTOH, it makes her
face, which is the central subject, the
visual center.

I'd like to imagine this is much closer to what one would get today, with a
digicam and no flash.

Dr. No Flash