Re: [OM] Florence cathedral - Optical illusion?

Subject: Re: [OM] Florence cathedral - Optical illusion?
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:03:35 +0100
I see what you mean now - and share the same feeling :-) thanks Brian

I know the domes were created with optical illusion in mind in order
to create a greater apparent depth/height, so why not play with the
floor?

The French term is 'trompe l'oeil' and if you google it you hit upon
the cathedral in Florence given as an example ...

I'll try to find about tiling and pavement now :-)

In the meantime, watch your step
http://erikjohanssonphoto.com/work/mind-your-step/
;-)

Amities
Philippe

Le 27 nov. 13 à 15:55, Charles Geilfuss a écrit :

>  That's pretty neat. It took a moment staring at it for the effect
> to be
> seen. But on further viewing it "flipped", giving what I suspect is
> the
> intended effect of raising the alter area from the surrounding floor.
>
> Charlie
>

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9609
>>
>> Philipe
>> When I look at this picture MY eyes suggest to ME that there is a
>> deep
>> pit in the middle of the cathedral floor and that some of the pews
>> are
>> falling down the side.   This is the effect that I referred to -
>> originally I had thought the photograph was one of Tina's.
>> Brian
>> --

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE