Re: [OM] A couple more Memphis shots

Subject: Re: [OM] A couple more Memphis shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:00:23 -0800
On 11/27/2013 1:12 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> Thank you, Bob.
>
> At first when I walked in, I thought it was just a fiberglass copy of a
> typical old church.  Then I read the signs, and realized it was the real
> thing, reconstructed inside the museum.  Very cool.

The Peabody Essex Museum has an entire Chinese house inside. It was built
around 1800, but is typical of houses much
older, as little had changed in rural life and construction for hundreds of
years. It bridges the time from rural China
through the Cultural Revolution. It was disassembled in China, shipped and
reassembled in the museum.

A fascinating thing to visit. One must make a reservation, which allows
adequate time to really roam around inside with
few enough other people that it's not a mob scene.

> I'm pretty sure the flat-screen TV on the wall above the piano isn't original
> equipment...

The propaganda speakers that the residents weren't allowed to turn down or off
and the posters of the Chairman were not
original equipment, but were a part of life in the house for some time.

Bemuseumed Moose