Re: [OM] My New Year's Offering

Subject: Re: [OM] My New Year's Offering
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 23:11:30 +0000 (UTC)
not my cup of soup, but prompted me to send mine in ...... also with the 14-54.

----- Original Message -----From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>To: Olympus Camera
Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 20:20:52 -0000
(UTC)Subject: [OM] My New Year's Offering

Each New Year's Day, my wife makes a traditional Japanese soup calledozoni. I
posted it to the gallery, and it looks like I'm No. 2, if youdon't count
Brian's doublet. Let's get shaking, boys and girls. Gallerylooks pretty bare.

I dislike foody shots, but I've never taken a photo of my bowl of ozoni, soit
seemed inevitable.

We are not really sure of the correct transliteration of the Japanese nameinto
English spelling, but my mother-in-law, who speaks both languages,thinks the
spelling is the best we can do. She's never seen the namespelled, nor have I. I
have no idea if the soup is still traditional inJapan. My mother-in-law is 93
and her parents emigrated to the Hawaiiterritory very nearly a hundred years
ago and the traditions they celebrateare what her parents brought with them at
that time.

The soup is a basic fish stock with carrots, Japanese potatoes, gobo(burdock
root), mushrooms, and other vegetables, with rice flour dumplingscalled mochi.
We were not able to get normal Japanese mochi this year, sowe have the Korean
variety, which I prefer in some ways anyway.

E-5 with DZ 14-54/2.8 @ 5.6. No trickery in post, but I held a card justbelow
the lens to bounce a little light into the shadows.

All the best in 2014,Joel W.--