Re: [OM] IMG: Children with Dead Pig

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Children with Dead Pig
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 16:16:52 -0800
On 1/1/2014 2:13 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> That's an interesting story, Tina.  I'm impressed that the kids were able to
> take the initiative like that.

Tina, if you are wondering why no response, I think it's because, although the
story is interesting, the image doesn't
tell that story, or any other particularly interesting story. It's a few kids
sitting, doing nothing, and part of some
unidentifiable animal.

Your many, many interesting images largely succeed for two reasons. First, you
are really good at getting people to open
up, in facial expression, interest, body language, etc. Such images are
inherently interesting to almost all people.

Second, many tell stories in themselves, without the need to explain. The rest
are mostly portraits, with that special,
reacting/interacting to Tina quality, and of people you found interesting in
the first place. I'll bet 98% of your good
stuff is either portrait or tells a story.

I've read more than one artist and/or critic saying some version of "If it has
to be explained, it's not successful."
Sure people may be curious, ask questions, who, what, where, why, how - after
the fact, but it's the initial internal
reaction to the image that's important.

I've just had the opportunity/fun of showing my second book to two different
friends in that last two days. Questions
only came about images that had already engaged them. Eyes just passed over
those that didn't engage and the page was
turned.

> The image would benefit from a little Levels action (bring each end to the
> histogram) and Curves (lower half of the curve a bowed down a little).  Moose
> would be able to explain it more clearly.

Sure, but it wouldn't help.

Tina is a technically accomplished photographer, but her images are special
because of the factors above. To this
jaundiced eye, this image may be made technically much better, but never
particularly interesting.

Tell It Straight Moose