Re: [OM] Speaking of motorcycles

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of motorcycles
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 08:35:49 -0500
On Jan 2, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> This is something that BMW has specifically addressed in one of their
> models. They have one that is targeted at the female rider with
> several design mods, such as the lower seating position and detuned
> engine to make it easier to get going without scaring the rider.

Good. Haven't kept up enough to realize they were styling for the female rider.
I don't know about detuning something in that cc range, though. BMWs tend to
have very smooth throttle action.

> A retro style bike or low-riderish bike would be OK in that regard,
> but they tend to be heavier and harder to ride around town. As to the
> "scooters", yes, BMW has a really nice one, but it's rather pricy.
> Those things are a bit popular right now and they tend to have a price
> to match. They're also not as good for hitting the highway if you want
> to go for a big drive.

True, the Suzuki Berghman (?) and the BMW are as expensive as their motorcycle
counterparts. They do get better mileage, have automatic transmission (The
Horror!) and a lot of cargo space. But if she's on for a bike, there's no
diverting her. I will say that just looking at weight, my Harley Fat Boy is a
pig. But start it rolling and it becomes smooth and easy and highly
maneuverable. It's no sports bike, for sure, but it rolls nice and I've managed
to scrape the footboards already on a particularly nice double-apex curve just
down the road.

If I were a younger man, I'd probably be on that big Triumph Tiger. Those
triples are about as sweet as they come, but they do tend to make you want to
drive really fast. At least the 1050 triple on my Sprint GT did.

> In her professional circles, her peers are all into motorbikes and
> she's feeling a bit left out. I know, I know, lousy reason, but she's
> wanted a bike for as long as we've been married.

Hum. Preacher ladies on bikes. I might have to rethink my heathen status. <wink>

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal