Re: [OM] IMG: Small Town Infrastructure - 100% Crop

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Small Town Infrastructure - 100% Crop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 13:35:40 -0800
On 1/1/2014 5:28 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> Yes, PSE 11 does layers, but this old guy doesn't...............
>
> I decided that, at my age, I could spend my time better in other
> pursuits than learning to use layers.  I will keep working at the tools
> that I use..............  And I will learn to accept a few imperfections...

The good news may be that this is better than last year's.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Lineman_Art_221.htm>

OTOH, it still has a lot of halos. How strong they are may be harder to see
without seeing it without them.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Small_Town_Infrastructure.htm>

Also, this time, they are of two types, There are the big, soft ones,
(Clarity?) and the thin, hard, white ones
(sharpening).

There are also small detail artifacts throughout. This is a very good showing
for a smallish sensor at 100%. Even so,
it's not possible to do the tweaking you have done, without first reducing
noise, without getting little nasties.

I know, I know, it's a 'big', APS-C sensor, but it still has enough noise at
base ISO that NR is needed if sharpening
and LCE are to be applied and then viewed at 100%.

It's a shame you choose to avoid layers. They may sound like a lot, but are
really quite simple. You make some fine
images that are less well presented than they could be. I'm not sure that the
limited version of layers in PSE will do
what's needed, or not.

Bob has said that the sliders in LightRoom are much smarter, and less subject
to halos. That might give you the option
of sticking with overall sliders - and having fewer artifacts.

Nuanced Layers* Moose

* A very special variety of chicken. Subtle pastel impressionist eggs. :-)