Re: [OM] Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:35:01 -0800
On 1/3/2014 2:30 PM, bob benson wrote:
> I've noted a lot of discussion about scanning recently.
>
> What is your scanner of choice for negative film ?

Canon FS4000. When I bought a scanner, I did endless research. The Minoltas and
Nikons were excellent in many ways. But
both had fiddly focus.

Subsequently, I learned here that the Nikons suffer from internal flare. Also,
their relatively coherent light source
makes scratches, etc. stand out more than the more diffuse light of the Canon.
The Canon has deep DOF, so no focus
problems, and no flare.

If you want auto feed of full rolls or stacks of slides, I believe Nikon is the
only game in town.

Most of these are discontinued, and must be acquired used.

Did I hear about some new scanners out of Germany?

If you want quite good, but not ultimate, IQ, proper flatbeds are cheaper and
scan more frames at once. The Epson V
series are good. The Canon 4000F is as good or better, again with better DOF/no
focus problems and, with a larger light
source in the lid and different film holders, can scan more at once. But also
discontinued.

C.H. has been very happy 'scanning' with camera, copy stand and flash. As he
did some commercial scanning with Nikons,
his opinion carries some weight. He finds it faster than scanners and the
quality up to his needs (with no flare!)

My problem with that approach is the lack of IR scratch and dust removal, which
all the above scanners have. If you mean
silver film B&W negs, this doesn't matter, as IR doesn't work with silver
films. For color neg, most slide films, even
decent with KR now, and chromogenic B&W, IR cleaning is magic.

Scanning All Moose