Re: [OM] The (US) incandescent light bulb isn't dead | The Verge

Subject: Re: [OM] The (US) incandescent light bulb isn't dead | The Verge
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 06:01:26 +0100
Consumer choice is good and will lead to the socially desirable outcomes only
if consumers face the correct prices. Since energy prices (both electricity and
gasoline) in the US are far below the social cost, regulations such as these or
the car fuel efficiency standards are inevitable. It would be far better to
raise energy taxes significantly and let consumers choose, I agree. But there
is little political appetite for that, and so I support the second-best
solution.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 4 Jan 2014, at 03:50, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe you should check the conservative's viewpoint... and it has
> nothing to do with being green or saving energy. :-)
> <http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2541430?slideout=1>
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 1/3/2014 11:56 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>> Somehow we have had such a ban in several European countries for quite some
>> time (I think it is coming in EU-wide this year) and the world has not come
>> to an end. We just use less energy on lighting our homes and offices. Not
>> something I see as a bad thing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nathan
>>
>> On 3 Jan 2014, at 16:59, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Knowing that these are the same folks who have just done a unilateral fruit
>>> basket turn over to our health care system, I'm not getting a real warm
>>> and  fuzzy feeling.
>>>
>>> Heck you guys probably thought school was keeping me so busy I had
>>> forgotten where I stored the kerosene can.
>>>
>>> <{B^)  Bill "Sorta Loving Medicare" Barber
>>>

>>> In a message dated 1/3/2014 8:59:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,
>>> chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>>
>>> I looked  up the law itself and saw that there were many exemptions
>>> for a wide  variety of special types of bulbs including candelabra base
>>> bulbs.   What I didn't realize from reading only parts of the very
>>> opaquely worded  law is that there is really is no ban on incandescent
>>> light  bulbs.
> --

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain