Re: [OM] New build (was IMG: Small Town Infrastructure - 100% Crop)

Subject: Re: [OM] New build (was IMG: Small Town Infrastructure - 100% Crop)
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 12:13:52 -0800
   Thanks for that Scott. Good to know about the caps. Saved. Video
   card???
   FWIW I just tried to eek out another year or so from this old box. MB
   is an old ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe. Updated the BIOS a while back so I can
   run an AM2+ x4 cpu (at 3.1+ ghz). Not too shabby.  Obviously not UEFI
   BIOS so maxed out there. Only 8gb 800mhz RAM support, maxed. I switched
   to an Nvidia GTX 550ti because the Radeon card I replaced wasn't
   playing well with the system. I need a good video card to run my CAD
   programs and ArcGIS. Added USB3 card and front panel ports so I can
   connect the USB3 WD Elements 2tb portable drives at a reasonable speed.
   These are tiny and perfect for photo storage, etc. when we travel.
   Added a couple new WD Green 2tbs to my other two and a 1tb for 5tb
   storage/backup . Learned my lesson the hard way. _Replace HD's after no
   more than 5 years_ I usually buy HD's in pairs and I foolishly did not
   retire my 250gb and 500 gb drives when their respective mates died. The
   biggest improvement came from adding a Crucial M500 240GB SSD. Just did
   a clean install of W7 Pro x64 on it. Another handy addition was a front
   panel HD switch.  Now I can isolate drives easily.  I'm pretty much
   maxed out now and hopefully good for a year at least but that board you
   have looks pretty tempting. And the HD dock on top is a nice touch
   however that box is 20" tall! And where would I put the scanner?? No,
   I'll stick with my old case and the PPC&C 750w PS I put in there. The
   thing is a rock solid brick.
   All items bought on sale for much less that prices shown.
   links:
   [1]<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694>
   [2]<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0FR8899>
   [3]<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0DV6321>
   [4]<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236404>
   =$40/tb on sale
   [5]<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817986003>
   travel companions:
   [6]<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007242-REG/asus_64gb_t100ta_
   c1_gr_transformer_book.html>
   [7]<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882350-REG/Olympus_v3291300w0
   00_EP_10_Standard_Replacement_Eyecup.html>
   [8]<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906517-REG/ntw_nusbd_7i45fm_m
   ica_usb_a_female_to_micro.html>
   [9]<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236519>
   wishful thinking: