Re: [OM] Mirrorless doomed?

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirrorless doomed?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 20:00:50 -0800
On 1/4/2014 5:47 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> I see they are called DSLRs on B&H's site.
> We've had this discussion before and I've come down on the unpopular
> side of calling it by form-factor, not specific technology. If it
> looks an SLR, I call it an SLR.

I like the idea, but I don't think it's quite that simple. There are several
Pannys with SLR form factor, but small, and
taking the same, short register distance, lens mount as other µ4/3 bodies. They
are clearly not SLRs.

My E-M5 and GX7 have wildly different form factors, one rangefinderish, one
quite SLRish, but both are clearly of the
same ilk, and not SLRs

Perhaps the presence of a mirror box, whether or not it's for viewing, and use
of lenses from a traditional SLR system,
is a better discriminator. Or take the longest register distance of any
existing mirrorless ILC system, add a couple of
mm, and use that to distinguish.

Separator Moose