Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 21:29:09 -0800
On 12/29/2013 1:33 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Our experiences are certainly different.

We really need to go out shooting together. Sounds like a lot of fun, and
possibly informative, for both of us. ;-)

The reality is that the only way I'm likely to end up in Iowa is if we Turtle
across the continent, and even then, it's
not a sure thing (see wife clause). As you say, life is limited, and places to
see essentially unlimited. Even worse,
there are a lot of places I want to go back to already.

I can say that I suspect there is more photogenic stuff, and probably more
variation of subjects, within an hour of our
house than in the State of Iowa. And there's a nice guest room. Currently
occupied, coincidentally, by a minister,
visiting from Colorado. :-)

> Either I'm a better photographer
> than you or my expectations are lower. I'm thinking it's the expectations.

Yeah, sure. :-)

> After all, I'm still pretty happy with film images in spite of the flaws.

You are a very silly person.

> Actually, what I think has happened is that I've found ways of working and
> have adapted some items in order to achieve the walkabout kit of
> sufficiency. For example, my small tripod allows me to easily remove the
> center column. I'm got a mini ballhead on it and I shortened the column to
> a specific length.

My tripod use has dropped dramatically with µ4/3.

> With a quick flick of the tightening knob I can turn the
> column into a shoulder stock. This gives me an effective two additional
> stops of stability--

I can just raise the ISO two stops from what you have available, for the same
or better IQ.

> ... As to lugging a big kit around, this is something which I know my time is
> limited with, so I've been modifying my ways for the past several years. I
> prefer to give myself fewer choices so as to lean more on my creative
> skills than on the technology. I'm carrying a pretty minimalistic kit most
> of the time. My standard OM kit right now is an OM body with 28/2 and
> 100/2.

Awk! Ick! Handcuffs.

> The 200yards kit is a full trunkload of eauipment, though. My
> standard digital kit is the DMC-L1 with a kit zoom and Tokina ATX 100-300/4
> zoom.

HEAV

> If I am feeling Leicaish

Not an affliction to which I have succumbed.

> , I'll just put the 24/2.8 on the L1.
>
> The OM-4T with 35-80 and MD2 is an awesome event kit, but it is heavy.

There's that word, "HEAVY", again, and "event". ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

> ... flash
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

> (Just point it at the ceiling or wall and have fun).

You really need to get out more. :-)

Funn Y. Moose