[OM] IMG: the old Jewish cemetery in Wrocław

Subject: [OM] IMG: the old Jewish cemetery in Wrocław
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:06:49 +0100
Wrocław, where I was born (and where my sister still lives), was known as
Breslau until 1945 and was one of the most important cities in Germany. In
fact, its importance was such that Hitler gave the order in the winter 1944/45
that the city was to be defended to the last man. As a result, the city was
virtually levelled before it was finally taken by the Red Army in March 1945.
Miraculously, two of the three Jewish cemeteries survived (the last one was
destroyed by the Nazis before the war). Yesterday, we visited the older of the
two, with graves from the late 18th century to 1940 or so. Knowing what
happened later, it was quite a moving visit. I just put up a small set (8
images) to give you a feel for the place and the history of the city of my
birth:

http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Old-Jewish-cemetery-in-Wroclaw/

Today, Wrocław is a vibrant city of 700,000 inhabitants, one of the real
success stories of the new Poland.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman