Re: [OM] IMG: the old Jewish cemetery in Wrocław

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: the old Jewish cemetery in Wrocław
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 15:33:39 -0600
On 1/6/14 14:56 : , Chris Crawford wrote:
> Graves in the non-Jewish cemetery get RE-USED if the family stops paying?
> Wow. In the US, graves are not reused and families do not have to pay
> maintenance fees. That's for all cemeteries, not just Jewish ones.
>
> So, how is a grave reused? Do they pull out the body, and replace it with
> a new one, or do they stack more coffins on top of the old ones?

While I'm aware of the practice (I had one friend who's father is buried
somewhere in Eastern Europe, and she had to pay to keep him to himself),
I've never been made aware of the actual procedure.  I think it's more
of a stacking thing.

Ken's right - we're used to "one plot, one body, forever and ever, Amen"
(unless a really wealthy devloper pays the right amount of bribe money
to a commissioner to get a cemetery relocated for a new condo
development).  But we do have vast amounts of unused land here as well.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard