Re: [OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 15:40:03 -0800
On 1/6/2014 9:46 PM, Scott Gomez wrote:
> Interesting, but the author fails to recognize that a camera can now carry
> the same networking capability as that of a camera-equipped phone.

Certainly it's coming, but hardly here for the masses. On the few cameras that
have it, it's fiddly, and WiFi only. My
GX7 has WiFi, but it took some effort and reading the manual and some on-line
stuff to get it functional.

I've not yet tried to hook it up to upload stuff. My primary interest was the
remote control from a phone (there's those
phones again!), which I did get working. I've had the image in my mind (and
have written about it here) of an LCD that
could be removed from the camera for remote. It's come from a direction I
didn't anticipate years ago.

As I recall, it took AG some trouble to get his Eye-Fi uploading going. I'm not
saying it's onerous. I am saying it's
not like the seamless comms on phones.

Wireless Moose