Re: [OM] (Extremely OT) Downton Abby

Subject: Re: [OM] (Extremely OT) Downton Abby
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 15:49:33 -0800
On 1/8/2014 2:21 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> At any rate, Esteemed Wife and I watched less than an hour of the first
>> episode of the new season of Downton Abby a few nights ago, then, by mutual
>> consent, hit the delete button. In our most humble opinions, Downton has
>> jumped the shark.
> I thought it did in season one, episode one.

I enjoyed it through the first season, with some caveats for soapy silliness.
Carol is still watching, and gave me
synopses for a while, but I'm fully clean now.

> We must now satisfy our Brit TV needs catching up with six seasons of Doc
> Martin. <g>

Great show! Did you notice Martin Clunes as a minor character, completely
opposite to the Doc, a member of the Drones
Club, in Jeeves and Wooster? If you've not seen that series, with Hugh Laurie
and Stephen Fry, it's a must!

There are some other good UK series, that didn't make it to US PBS. We are
through the first season of "House of Eliot"
and I just downloaded the rest. Started Last Tango in Halifax and enjoying that
through three episodes so far.

> I get my Brit TV fix by watching Top Gear (they own the shark) and Dr. Who
> (the shark actually talks).

Isn't Dr. Who Welsh now? ;-) We do enjoy it, although the Christmas episode
reached a new level of incomprehensibility.
More to the point here, possibly, it seems to me to cater more than a bit these
days to the US market in some ways.

Shows like Doc Martin, House of Eliot, etc. are pure English, which is rather
fun. (Yes, I know, the accents are
softened, universalized, but that's so folks in all parts of the UK have a
chance of understanding them, not for the US.

[Knocking on door]
Moose: Who's there?
[v. quiet voice] Land S...