Re: [OM] What would you buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would you buy?
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 10:29:19 -0600
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, consider the fact that most panos (not all, Moose, just saying
> most), benefit from keeping the sensor/film plane aligned with the
> horizon. The overlapping shots aren't really all that critical for
> alignment as long as you have sufficient overlap for the merge. You
> can accomplish a very good pano with just a monopod. It will take a
> little practice to learn how not to tilt it, but a monopod works great
> for this application.

As a guy who's gone for stitched panos in a reasonably big way, there are
some other limitations.  They really only work for fairly static subjects -
if you want to capture a SWA image of an event, you'll get phantoms and
ghosts everywhere.  There are times when I wish I had just one SWA fisheye
instead of having to drop 23 images into Hugin.

However, for mostly-static scenes, there's something really satisfying
about spinning the camera around, dropping a pile of jpg's or tiff's into
Hugin, and watching the magic happen.
--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard