Re: [OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:44:23 -0800
On 1/10/2014 12:11 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> I have managed to get this to work.  My one modification over Ag's specs is
>> to eliminate the OM-3Ti (or in my case an OM-1N) by grafting a Canaan 5D
>> directly to the lens via an adapter.  It saved me the trouble of destroying
>> a digital camera and getting duct tape stickies all over my OM camera.  I
>> realize it is not as satisfactory as what Ken has in mind, but it has a
>> predictable outcome and allows me to take pretty decent photos.
> I'd be tempted to do the same thing, but Moose and Chuck have already
> been-there, done-that and proved that the results are junk now.

Getting a bit tired of this one, but for Bob's sake. ;-)

As I just posted, I moved on from the 5D for reasons other than IQ. As far as I
know, it remains one of the very few
paragons of digital image quality, exceptionally clean at the pixel level.
Although later models seem to boast less high
ISO noise, the plaiding CH demonstrated is troubling. For any use I have, the
file size is fine.

I left it sitting on the shelf for two major reasons. One is a feature it
doesn't have, live view, which I thought I
would value a great deal; turned out to be true.

The second reason is size and weight, not just of the camera. With FF AF lenses
to meet my photographic needs and
practices, it's a much larger and heavier kit than I want to carry around.
Unlike Mr. Weston, I routinely venture much
farther than 500 yards from the car.

It was the promise of no decrease in IQ with smaller sensors, as the technology
improved, that lured me away. Although
I've done no testing, my sense is that the latest 4/3 size sensors are about as
clean at base ISO as the 5D, and
distinctly better at higher ISOs

I see no particular merit in sticking with a tool when a better one comes
along. I'm not giving up my aluminum pipe
wrench and picking up cast iron again, either.

> Even a pocket digicam does better. ;)

Heaven knows, that may even be true, but if so, it has a fixed prime lens and
comes from strange and exotic Foveonland.

The latest P&S I have, S100, is a fine picture taker. When I have it with me,
and not the 5D, it is an infinitely better
camera for whatever presents itself than the 5D. But no, it's IQ doesn't
challenge the 5D.

To look at the other side, what might be taken to be your side, my first
digital camera, a 1.9 MP Canon S110 announced
ten years ago next month, still takes quite good images. I took a lot of good
shots with that camera. I don't think this
is a shabby image, by anyone's standards.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Glads/pages/10-1053.htm>

Nor, Brian's beliefs about shooting in direct sun notwithstanding, is this.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Glads/pages/14-1075_.htm>

These portraits are not chopped liver, either.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/S110Portraits/>

So why am I not still using it? I've chosen to move on to better IQ, Raw files,
much higher and less noisy high ISO, a
much bigger and better LCD, more than a 2x zoom, and so on.

Using an old, heavy pipe wrench is a valid choice. Picking on those who choose
not to, well ...

No Porter Moose