Re: [OM] What would you buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would you buy?
From: John Lind <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:17:22 -0500
A good chunk of the RX10 price tag is the Carl Zeiss fast f/2.8 constant
aperture 8x optical zoom Vario-Sonnar. It's a stellar lens (and that is a
significant understatement). Every Zeiss lens I've had and used, spanning
several eras of their lens making, has been without peer - the only folks
coming very close to them in a couple small format and a number of medium
format lenses being Schneider-Kreuznach and consider them the world's #2 lens
maker just behind Zeiss. The newest Zeiss I've used is the Vario-Sonnar on my
RX100, and it is positively stunning across its focal length and aperture
ranges, beyond all I had imagined it could or would do in contrast and
resolving power. The RX100's 20.2 MP 1" sensor has fewer pixels than the lens'
resolution can deliver - the opposite of the norm. What I've seen in the RX10
reviews is similar, especially in the typical zoom lens sweet spot apertures
from f/4 - f/11. If the same lens were marketed for the NEX system I've little
doubt i
 t would be substantially more expensive than the complete RX10, the price
point of which I believe is driven down by other bridge class cameras and their
average price point.

John

Sent from my iPad