Re: [OM] What would you buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would you buy?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 02:38:54 -0800
On 1/10/2014 3:14 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> AG writes:
>>> Just rethinking this a little bit. Why not get the new Sony RX10
>>> "bridge camera"? 24-200mm equivalent F2.8.
> AG has a point that one can't get wide range/fast/small w/o a fixed
> lens--

Aaaaaannnnnd - a smaller sensor.

> still I'd personally be hard pressed to spend that much on
> a fixed lens solution with all the other ILC's out there. No law says
> you can't easily carry two or three MFT lenses that can be small/light.
> If you want one lens it will be slow though, such as the 14-150 Oly or
> Panny 14-140 F4-5.8.

You seem to be confusing different lenses? There are two Panny 14-140 lenses.
The f4-5.8 is larger, and much heavier,
than the Oly 14-150. The new f3.5-5.6 model is comparable to the Oly in size
and weight, and $700, vs. $500 for the
older model.

I would not be interested in the old Panny, for simple size and weight reasons.

> The latter might be smidge better than the Oly

I have no idea, as the test linked to is only of the old Panny.

> and Moose never minded the former that much.
> I have seen a few good sized prints wit the Oly and they were fine.

I think my criteria are different. The testers quite rightly look at raw lens
performance, but that often doesn't tell
the whole user's story.

All of these long zooms are less sharp at the long end, I believe. But if some
deconvolution sharpening and LCE bring
out nice, clean detail, I'm happy. Both the Oly 14-150 and 75-300 are like
that. You've seen quite a few 100% samples of
both from me.

> The Panny has a fair amount of lat CA but on a Panny body the fix is
> automatic baked into the raw files. The Panny version has OIS which
> would be helpful on a GM-1 that otherwise would have no IS. The Gx-7
> has modest IBIS but not the impressive 5 way of the EM-1.

It's easy to assume that Oly's 5-axis IS is, or should be, superior. I love it
because it helps correct for my tendency
to rotate the camera as I press the release.

OTOH, the only tests I've seen so far seem to show that the Oly IBIS is as good
or better on the two crucial axes.

> http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/682-pana14140
>
> I looked into more reports of Shutter shock (SS) with the EM-1 and
> indeed the correlation with louder shutter and more SS holds, so EM-1>
> OM-D with SS. If 1/8 sec anit-shock mode  fixes all of it in all
> situations I don't know. I have yet to see a rigorous analysis of
> comparative SS on EM-1/OM-D such as MTF at various shutter speeds form
> the different cams using samelens. My tentative conclusion is from
> written impressions of owners of both cams but I suspect it is correct.

DPreview also found less SS in the E-M1 than the smaller, lighter E-P5.

Shockingly Moose