Re: [OM] What would you buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would you buy?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 19:30:07 -0600
> First, this tiny offshoot thread was not started nor meant to be any sort of
> full critique of anything but AG's hyperbole:

Mine?

> Then, if you are saying that the RX10 produces images with IQ equal to the
> NEX-7, I'm politely skeptical until I see
> examples. That will be possible soon enough, in the Raw versions of standard
> shots of the major review sites.

DPReview hasn't done the full formal test on the RX10, but DXOMark
has, as well as other review sites which probably don't pass the smell
test for you. The NEX-7, according to DXOMark blows the socks off of
the RX10 and EM1. Compared to the NEX-7, both cameras suck. That means
your EM5 does too. Having spent more than a passing bit of time with
the NEX-7, I would concur. It is a camera that really rocks. With
properly working reduction optics, I consider it to be a viable
contender for Schnozz-Bag.

What DXOMark doesn't test is resolution issues. For that, I will lean
on the various sample images out there that I've seen. The RX10 is
very much like my A1. The lens is well beyond what the sensor is
capable of.

> If not, then you agree with my point, mostly stated in my other post
> specifically on that point, which is that the RX10
> is roughly as large and heavy as an ILC kit that will have better imaging
> performance.

I totally disagree. You have to go up to APS-C to be significantly
better than the RX10. m43 ain't going to get you there. Start adding
up the lenses it takes to make m43 match the 24-200/2.8 equiv lens.
You are all wet, Moose.

> OK, I have no way of, or interest in, proving or disproving that. But I can't
> figure out how it makes any difference to
> anything. The RX10 is a fixed lens camera. It produces what it produces,
> regardless of the contribution of the various
> components. And that's all that matters.

I've gone through several "bridge" cameras. The IS-1, IS-3 and A1.
While I dislike not being able to stuff my favorite Zuiko on the front
of them, all three have proven to be MUCH greater than I ever
expected. So much so that the IS-3 and A1 still are here and get
action. The IS-1 was stolen. In all honesty, the RX10 is one of those
cameras that make me question my next purchase. I know I won't get one
for whatever reason (just bought an expensive laptop for SWMBO last
night--and so it goes), but I've gotten so much excellent results and
mileage out of the IS-3 and A1 that I'm not opposed to getting one.
The fact that it's constant-aperture F2.8 over the whole range...

Oh, and it does video very well. Something that Olympus just doesn't
give too much of a rip about.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx