Re: [OM] Specific question about What would you buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] Specific question about What would you buy?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:55:25 -0800
On 1/12/2014 5:46 AM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006332-REG/sony_nex7k_b2bdl_alpha_nex
> _7_digital_camera.html
>

> OK, two lens kit, $100 gift card to get more memory cards, well within
> budget.  How is this for a very short list?  Bill Somewhat Less  Vacillating
> Barber

I'm not convinced. A short range kit zoom of slightly dubious rep and a "fast",
wideish, 30 mm eq. that's only f2.8
doesn't strike me as a great lens kit.

The 18-55 is one of only four NEX lenses with IS. If considered as a platform
for MF OM glass, I'd be put off by the
lack of IBIS on NEX bodies.

I hadn't though of this when I wrote before, 'cause I'm not familiar with NEX
stuff. In many common circumstances out in
the world, a sharp shot on the slightly smaller 4/3 sensor will be better than
a slightly motion blurred one on APS-C.

All the cameras I recommended have effective IBIS. Sony doesn't do IBIS on NEX,
although they do on (some?) Alphas. IBIS
is like catnip for a cat with MF glass, making it, in effect, faster in most
use. I presume you know this, with your
E-4/3 thingies, but may not have considered the difference with NEX.

M.Z 12 -50 has greater zoom range on both ends than the NEX 18-55, is a better
lens, adds macro and is weather sealed on
OM-Ds. For the relatively close European cities, the 24 mm eq. is also better
than the 27 mm eq. of the Sony lens. Panny
20/1.7 is 40 mm eq on 4/3, the NEX 20 mm is 30 mm eq. on APS. Most importantly,
the Panny is a stop faster.

Those two lenses, with E-M5 or M1, Panny GX7, or even E-P5, E-PL5 or E-PM2, are
likely to result in a better overall set
of images from such a trip than this NEX-7 kit.

Wading Bird Moose