Re: [OM] Musically inclined OM-3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] Musically inclined OM-3Ti
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:48:12 -0600
JDubs wrote:
> Very dynamic photo, Ken.  What, if anything, is the significance of the
> Picasa processing?  Effects?  Quick and dirty?  Other?

Thank you. I'm using Picasa quite a bit lately for several reasons:

1. As an image inventory system, it is actually very good. It has face
recognition built in, so I use that for family stuff, too.

2. It's one of the very rare RAW converters that gets it right with
the DMC-L1 files. There are far too many artifacts (of various kinds)
with other converters. The latest/greatest version of Lightroom is
only marginally better. As a RAW converter, it does better with the
DMC-L1 files, faster, than other converters. I prefer the files I get
with the fancy software provided with the camera, but just.

3. I'm on my Loma kick these days. By doing a fancy bit of dancework,
I can get there quickly and easily without it just being another
me-too shot. As you all are well aware, in another two or three weeks,
I'll be wanting a new fancy pinhole camera. It happens every February.
I'm trying to get this out of my system before that happens. Something
tells me that it's a fool's errand and I'm not going to be satisfied
until a cherry wood box is mounted on my tripod.

4. There are several tricks-o-the-trade in getting a certain "look"
which are very easy with Picasa. Not so with a proper editor. Granted,
I can go farther and better with a proper editor, but Picasa is able
to get me most of the way there in seconds. I also use it for testing
out concepts. If the concept works, I'll use the Picasa converted
image as a guide.

5. The resize algorithm for downsizing for web use is remarkably good.
It has some form of secret sauce that Adobe hasn't quite figured out.
Adobe is very good at so many things, but I'm still not impressed with
the resize algorithm. (Downward). Upsizing is another story.

> P.S.  SWMBO and I are back in Hawaii getting her mother settled back in at
> home and making arrangements for in-home care.  Those who have been through
> this know it is not a vacation, but there may be a shot or two coming.  My
> shooter is the OM-5D but the only Z is the 90/2.  I have a Tammy SP zoom
> (24-135 "Slow Hand") and an old Nikkor 80-200/4 zoom with appropriate
> adapter.  I be all slow and heavy.

I can hear Moose's computer keyboard clicking away right now.

AG (I agree with JDUBS) Schnozz