Re: [OM] Eye Candy - Color, Texture & Unmentionables

Subject: Re: [OM] Eye Candy - Color, Texture & Unmentionables
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:28:55 +0000 (UTC)
#90 is my favorite..........it appears (to me) to be looking back at me.........

----- Original Message -----From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>To: Olympus Camera
Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 21:56:41 -0000
(UTC)Subject: [OM] Eye Candy - Color, Texture & Unmentionables

We had a friend visiting last weekend, and took our traditional jaunt for Thai
food. The girls were almost sucked into the sale at a women's boutique and
consignment store, but hunger won out until sated.

After lunch, I went to the Co-op gallery on the corner. After I'd seen about
all the art I could hold, chatted up the se&ntilde;orita* behind the counter
shamelessly and asked about membership, those girls still hadn't emerged.

So I wandered across the street and inside, only to find some delicious light
on a wonderful selection of colorful goods.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=10586>

I seldom exhort folks to dive into the individual images. Here, the color to be
seen in the thumbnails is only a part of the story, many of the textures are
sensationally sensuous. (The sensations of sensing them with touch were
sensuous, as well, but you are limited to the sense of vision.)

Apropos recent threads about image quality from various cameras and sensor
sizes, all of these were taken with the same sensor as the E-M5, all at ISO
3200 - and there are a couple of 100% crops that ain't too shabby, both as
attractive images and as illustrations of what the sensor can do.

It's also, to me, an illustration of why lens speed alone is often not enough
to realize the result I want. Sure, the lens goes to f3.5 at this focal length,
or I could have brought out the 20/1.7. And yes, there were shallow focal plane
images I could have made. But I wanted enough DOF to capture the texture of the
loose weaves as they undulated nearer and further from the camera. That meant
f8 (and some soft areas, anyway), and ISO 3200, no matter what lens I had.
That, size and weight are why I'm not interested in the undoubtedly magical new
12-40/2.8.

Oh yeah, I came away with images and a wallet, the girls with several beautiful
steals to wear.

Shoot and Shop Moose

* Literal

-- What if the Hokey Pokey *IS* what it's all about?--