Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/1/2014: we used no EPO!

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/1/2014: we used no EPO!
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:37:03 -0600
> I think that the whole trend is subtle - wool, silly, but people rode
> casually in loose shorts and shirts happily for decades until recently. I
> suspect that the whole trend is down to that word 'enthusiast' where you wear
> Lycra motley, emblazoned with the logos of sponsors who don't even exist in
> your own country, to make a public announcement that, "I'm doing this as a
> voluntary recreational activity, a lifestyle choice and not because I'm so
> poor that I have no choice." Oh, and. "doesn't my bum look good in this?!"
> It signals a shift in culture from the cycle as a means of transport to a
> public posture.

It's interesting that you mention all this. Lycra is actually falling
out of style these days. The in-style thing is the baggy pants with
crotch hanging down to your kneecaps look. Still haven't figured out
how that makes cycling easier.

The logo/sponsor look has several aspects to it:

1. Bright colors make it easier to be seen. Trust me, you can never
have enough bright colors when trying to ride on the same road as
texting idiots in 5000# SUVs.

2. Typical Fan-Boy marketing. Nobody wants to be seen wearing "Huffy",
but "Cannondale" is good. (I've got tons of Cannondale stuff).

3. Quality garb. The stuff with the fancy logos generally are better made.

4. Speed. It makes you look faster, and nobody wants to be a POSER so
you actually ride faster.

5. Everybody is a racer, even if you aren't. The overfed amateurs want
to look like the pros, but the pros just want to be able to eat
something other than Raman Noodles.

On this subject, Andrew, you are getting absolutely no agreement from
me. Granted, I've spent more on my two bicycles (highly tweaked) than
I spent on most of my vehicles, but in this case, the specialized garb
is useful and can even be important. Proper cycling shorts have
padding and absorption in a certain place where you, uh, need it.
There is nothing worse than having your undies get tied up in your
'roids. There is also a very big hazard when you get your pant legs
caught up in the chain. And then there is the sweat
absorption/disapation issue that proper clothes take care of for you.
Cycling tights also play an important role because they help stabilize
and keep the knees warm. They protect against the wind, but don't
block water vapor expiration. If you happen to have an untimely
meeting with the tarmac, they can also protect against some injuries.
Road rash heals, but torn ligements sometimes don't. Nothing will tear
up a knee like the twisting motion a pant leg against pavement does.

Of course, no discussion on the subject of cycling clothes is complete
without bringing up leg shaving which has MANY benefits.

AG