Re: [OM] Scanning Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:31:35 -0800
On 1/14/2014 4:09 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> No, they are not smaller just because the IR channel is not included. <big
> snip>

All true, and irrelevant to this practical discussion. The metadata and other
extras are teeny, tiny, compared to the
image data. And they remain the same size, regardless of image size. With file
sizes North of 100 MB, the issue is moot.
The only significant difference is dropping the IR channel.

> Another advantage of importing as .DNG files is that they contain a
> checksum safety feature that easily and quickly identifies a corrupted
> file. This is called embedded file verification.

Yes, and that's good. I didn't know about stripping out and not including parts
of the metadata. Not sure I like that.
Doesn't matter to me, though. For digital camera images, I retain the original
Raw file, the XMP file produced by ACR
and the processed PSD file, all backed up. For scans, there is no useful
metadata.

DNG Dong Moose