Re: [OM] Speaking of the palmetto state...

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of the palmetto state...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 07:00:42 -0500
Basically, what Tina said.  You knew me as a Boston or upstate New York
guy.  But I have lived in many places including a year in Texas, 5 years
in Virginia and 11 years in Florida.  We were in Boston only for  great
jobs.

When it came time to retire Boston was too expensive so we went for
inexpensive and familiar and moved back to Peg's home town in New York
where we had started out together in 1964.  6 years ago friends
convinced us to try wintering in a 55+ community in Florida.  We've been
doing that ever since and find that such places offer great friendships
and lots of activities.  We decided that we wanted to live in such a
place year-round and also live closer to our daughter in North Carolina.
  We investigated many places on-line and finally picked 5 in North and
South Carolina for personal visits.  The place in Murrells Inlet proved
to be far superior in a social and lifestyle sense than anything else we
saw.

The average high temp in Murrells Inlet, SC is pretty warm for 4 months
of the year
<http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/29576> but
the average low in Endicott, NY is below freezing for 5-6 months of the
year <http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/13760>
  Temperaturewise the solution to both is to stay inside when it's too
hot or too cold.  But the too hot part in SC does not leave snow to be
shoveled or ice to be driven on when one can't stay inside.  What I'm
willing to put up with weatherwise is much different at age 70 than it
was at age 50.

Chuck Norcutt