Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of the palmetto state...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of the palmetto state...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 07:25:08 -0500
As the crow flies my new house will be about 3-1/2 miles inland from the
beach.  The elevation is sufficient that I'm out of range of tidal surge
and (based on the flood zone rating) unlikely to be flooded despite the
nearby creek that runs to the river and down to the sea.  South Carolina
building codes specify the use of hurricane straps on the roof trusses
which is very important.  If the roof comes off the building integrity
is lost and all is lost.  I will likely have to add further protection
in the way of storm shutters and garage bracing (as I did in Florida
years ago).  IMHO, the storm evacuation routes are likely to become
parking lots so I would plan to ride out any storm up to Cat 2 or 3.  If
I thought an approaching storm might be above that I'd evacuate myself
inland to my daughter's house in North Carolina long before an
evacuation order was issued.

Hurricanes, unlike tornadoes and earthquakes, are at least kind enough
to let you know they're coming.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt (hurricanes: been there, done that)