[OM] [OT] Streaming video again, refurb'd Roku 3 $70

Subject: [OM] [OT] Streaming video again, refurb'd Roku 3 $70
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:22:07 -0500
I reported not too long ago that I had bought a Roku 3 for streaming
video and am quite happy with it.  Newegg is selling a refurb'd one for
$69.99 with the promo code found on the page below
<http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Jan-0-2014/Decksuperbowl17/index-landingA.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL011714&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL011714-_-EMC-011714-Index-_-E0-_-PromoWordB&et_cid=4538&et_rid=171093#Rock>

The only negatives I've found on the Roku 3 so far have to do with
battery life for the remote and a failure mode on the main unit that
requires a power off/on reset to correct it. The remote control does not
have a power switch.  It's constantly on and can consume a set of (new
but near expiry date) AA alkaline batteries in 5 days or less.  After
draining the second pair of alkalines last night I decided I'd better
switch to NiMH.  That should give significantly better battery life I
trust.  I have three or four sets with me here in Florida but I didn't
bring a charger since I thought the only use for the NiMH AAs would be
occasional use in my T-32s.  Live and learn.  :-)

The failure mode of the main unit is a bit odd.  When you try to watch a
video you may get a message "HDCP Unauthorized. Content Disabled."
There's a lot of junk on the web over just what this means but Netflix
has it right <https://support.netflix.com/en/node/12386>  So far this
has happened twice and I believe it to be related to low battery power.
  I wasn't paying enough attention but I've changed the batteries twice
and the failures seem to be closely related in time to the battery
change.  I'll pay more attention next time but I may forget if the next
failure doesn't occur for a month.

I should add that the failure doesn't cost you anything but the time to
power off and restart after about 15 seconds.  Netflix, at least,
remembers what was going on and leaves you at the same video you were
trying to watch when the failure occurred.

Chuck Norcutt