Re: [OM] [OT] Firewalls and other (mostly Linux related) network securit

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Firewalls and other (mostly Linux related) network security questions
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:10:03 +0000
OK, they support IE and Firefox, but not Chrome.  (Access to the app uses a
virtual numeric keypad to enter a PIN and my mouse clicks in Chrome just
don't register.)  Since IE is there by default and I don't want to load
another (FF) I use IE.

(When I was in corporate IT, one of the biggest $$ maintenance projects was
keeping our customer-facing apps running securely on the latest versions of
the supported browsers (and the relevant plug-ins) - it meant we just
couldn't afford to support more than a couple of browsers. And for those we
could only guarantee operation on the previous and current versions.
Consequently I appreciate the difficulty faced by my bank(s).
>From my limited experience of 3 European banks and one US credit card
account (AmEx), the European banks seem to be a zillion times more paranoid
- 2 out of my 3 use a hardware password token - and the third is the one
that doesn't work on Chrome. Conversly AmEx is just userid/password - but
to be honest I'm not sure there's any way to get money out of my AmEx card
on-line.   (PayPal is a whole other can of worms of course.)
Of course they all hide it whenever there is an security issue - customer
confidence is their priority and they just accept it's going cost them
millions of losses (no-questions-asked refunds etc.) in order to maintain
the illusion of security.)
Jez