Re: [OM] Fast Eggs

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Eggs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:44:50 -0800
On 1/17/2014 6:56 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
> There's one part missing:
>
> TOTAL = $ xxxxx?

I was trying to enjoy it, not think what it cost. :-)

Really, though, I think that last one cost about that, and has lasted over 6
1/2 years, it's not really expensive,
considering how much I use them. (Oops, I forgot that the old box also had a
power supply failure a few months ago. I
just grabbed the one out if its predecessor.)

Since a couple of people mentioned saving my choices, I thought I'd comment a
little further:

I'm glad I bought a new case, rather than reusing one. The new one is much
better ventilated and has much more
convenient, screw less HD mounting,even included a mount adapter for 2 2.5"
SDDs. Nice piece of gear, for a reasonable
price.

Choosing the perfect of any of these components is not possible, or at least
it's not possible to know one has done so.
I used user reviews to choose case and PSU.

There are lots of MBs that fit my general needs, too. This one had good
reviews, a recommendation from Tom's Hardware
and 8, rather than 6, SATA headers. It's one drawback is the odd, sideways,
SATA headers; probably to save board space
with so many. Only slightly annoying when setting up, no difference in
operation.

Seems to me that memory is memory. I chose an inexpensive brand with good user
reviews. I went with one step faster than
needed, on general minimize bottleneck principles - and processor and MB
support overclocking, should I ever want to play.

Looks to me that Crucial and Samsung are the solid choices for top performance
with reliability at reasonable prices. I
put a Crucial M500 in my notebook+. This particular day, the Samsung 840 EVO
was $60 off for the 500GB, so cheaper than
the Crucial M500.

Win 7 Pro was a no-brainer for me. 8 may or may not be fine, but this is a
desktop with no touch stuff, and I know 7 is
great. For a portable, I'd go with 8. Pro, rather than Home, to get the XP
compatibility feature. I have bits of OLD
stuff I still want to be able to use. There's lots of talk about MS's apparent
withdrawal, starting with 7, of approval
for home builders to use the OEM packages.

At least my last three boxes have had OEM versions pre-installed; I've never
received any OS support from the makers,
and have received a bit of good email support MS (a few years ago). I wasn't
doing an upgrade, nor do I see where I
would ever want to move the OS to another machine, so I went with the OEM
package.  A clean install is a breeze.

This is what I bought and paid. At NewEgg promo prices and instant offs are
constantly changing, so the price would be
different today. I ordered it all at once; they split it in two,perhaps for the
shipping difference.

Qty     Product Description     Price

1 SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State
Drive (SSD)     $309.99
1 Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Intel HD Graphics $339.99
1 Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2SB 500W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply  $49.99
1 Rosewill RDCR-11004 5.25" 2 Port USB 3.0 / 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub / eSATA
Multi-in-1 Internal Card Reader w/ USB3.0
Connector $29.99
1 ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
Motherboard   $144.99
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM $139.99
1 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3
14900) Desktop Memory Model
F3-1866C9D-16GXM   $157.99

Subtotal        $1,172.93
Tax                $87.97
ShopRunner 2Day     $0.00
Order Total     $1,260.90

1 Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with
Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x
Top 140mm $49.99

Subtotal      $49.99
Tax            $3.75
Newegg 3Day    $5.99
Order Total   $59.73
Grand Total $1282.61

I have just ordered two more items:

Optical drive for $14.99
   - Only one of these drives from my old machine is SATA. I like two drives,
as I still occasionally copy a CD or DVD.

PCI Firewire adapter $9.99
   - I still have a video camera and an external drive with Firewire connections

Up Dated Moose