Re: [OM] Got the toe wet in the mirror-less pond

Subject: Re: [OM] Got the toe wet in the mirror-less pond
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 04:55:06 +0000 (UTC)
Congratulations!  I chose the E-M1.  Getting ready to try it on the bellows and
a SX-TR scope.  Hoping I don't miss the fullframe.  Never thought of the no
lens quirk.  Best of luck with the Sony.

----- Original Message -----From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>To:
olympus@thomasclausen.netSent: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 04:34:12 -0000 (UTC)Subject:
[OM] Got the toe wet in the mirror-less pond

Sony NEX-5 body, 18-55 lens, Photodiox Pro OM-NEX adapter (from B &H), charged
battery, and downloaded software--all assembled, so I'm readyto squeeze the
shutter. Took a couple shots of the light bulb in mybasement office with the
18-55 and saw that the NEX-5 worked, so I plungedright in and put a slide of a
larval midge under the Olympus compoundmicroscope. Gotta start somewhere. Used
an FK 3.3X lens on the trinocularhead, attached the NEX-5 body to the adapter,
turned the camera on, and got"Lens not recognized."Hmmmm........ The manual
didn't help at all, but by fumbling around Iwent: Menu (arrow) Setup (arrow)
Release w/o lens (arrow) Enable.Ah-hah! Now I get an image of the head capsule
on the screen. Histogramvalues were way to the left, but I just pushed the
shutter release,downloaded what was captured, and posted it
to:<http://s124.photobucket.com/user/Dean_Hansen/media/Dipping%20a%20toe%20in%20the%20mirror-less%20pond/Stilocladius_zpsfc395569.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0>.(So
 meday I'll have to figure out tiny url.)Not a great shot, but at least I got
my toe wet in that enormousmirror-less pond. Putting the NEX-5 on the 65-116 OM
auto extension withthe 38/2.8 will be next. The underwater box? Ahh, maybe not
for a fewdays.I might grow to like this camera.Dean--