Re: [OM] [OT] Open data in the Netherlands

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Open data in the Netherlands
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 00:05:17 +1030
Paintball guns are a considered a firearm in the same class as sluggies
and rimfire rifles in most states down under. I'd be worried that
there'd be pretty much no distinction at prosecution time for the use of
either of the devices under discussion. Apparently someone is under
arrest for damaging SA's shiny new freeway SAFETY <choke> cameras here a
few weeks ago, he was caught in possession of a crossbow and marbles.

Another point of concern with these things: There is  'marketing
potential' being exploited for bluetooth/wifi, where the hardware
addresses of mobiles/tablets is used to track your presence in shopping
centres, and dynamic displays generate ads tailored to you when you can
see them (like the 'seemingly random but a bit close to home' junk on
e.g. google/youtube pages). Rumour has it that this information is also
being used to collect statistics on driver speed between checkpoints in
SA (some cars are now equipped with bt & wifi, and thus have unique IDs
and leak this information freely, also)... :(

davidt