Re: [OM] (OM) A question of Ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) A question of Ethics
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 09:28:23 -0600
NSURIT wrote:
> I always find it interesting to go out with a group of photographers to a
> location and shot the same location and to see how differently each person
> sees  the place.

This has been true every time I've shot with Joel and with our fellow
Zuikoholics on various Zuikofests. We can be standing exactly next to
each other, with the exact same lenses and cameras and come up with
radically different shots. The competitive person in me always twists
up in knots over it, because hard as I try, Joel will do just a little
bit better. Then I realize it's because he's got a better camera strap
than me, so that's why his are better.

As to Brian's situation... I wouldn't copy the image. Even changing
out the type of pine-cones wouldn't be enough for me. While I may
actually take the picture and copy her work for my own satisfaction, I
wouldn't sell it or submit it to competition. However, I would work up
a different composition, change colorings and interpretations. There
is a whole raft of things that can be done. Maybe put it together as a
Triptych.

I've mentioned this before, but a couple years ago, I saw one of my
pictures hanging in the Iowa State Fair photo competition. It had won
an award, even. I was very pleased--expect it wasn't mine. The lady
who had submitted it had carefully recreated my photo and submitted
it. She has the reputation of doing that all the time. Not an original
thought in her head--she copies everybody else. Very frustrating.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx