Re: [OM] OT American Football

Subject: Re: [OM] OT American Football
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 05:56:43 +1100
I was watching an episode of QI last night in which the point was made that
boxers didn't used to die until they started wearing gloves. Up to that point,
bare knuckle fighters couldn't hit too hard or attack the head much because
they'd break fingers and so tended to pummel each other's bodies to exhaustion
- that why bouts went on so long. With gloves, head injuries became the norm.
Horrible piece of counter-intuition.

I suspect that most of the injuries in US football are caused by all that
protective gear. In rugby, you are a damn sight more careful about how you hit
and tackle to avoid hurting yourself and cute tricks like drooping the shoulder
into the sternum, taking out the legs from the side, lifting beyond the
horizontal (spear tackle) or tackling a man who is off the ground are foul play.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com

Author/Publisher: