Re: [OM] IMG: Crossroads

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Crossroads
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 16:09:21 -0600
> Even as the world turns more and more to wireless communication, the
> wired networks soldier on.  Here is a crossroads in the wired world,
> including power, fiber optics, cable TV and that old standby, AT&T.

Yes, there is a bit of everything on that pole. Probably around 4000
pounds hanging from it.

The funny thing about wireless communications is that wireless is only
a "last mile" technology. All those cell-towers have to connect back
to the world, somehow.

We generally don't put anything new in the air anymore. Hanging
anything involves pole rent, municipal taxes and of course, ice
storms. Oh, and theft--lots of theft*. And when it comes to
fiber-optics, those cables last much shorter lives than buried. In
addition, hung fiber brings other problems into play, such as
Polarization Mode Dispersion (PMD) whenever the wind blows. But
burying the stuff brings out other problems, such as backhoe fade.

* We had 7 miles of copper aerial disappear in one night in eastern
Kentucky. We replaced it and much of it got stolen again the next
night.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx