Re: [OM] MooseRant on Low Light Shoot-Out

Subject: Re: [OM] MooseRant on Low Light Shoot-Out
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:28:28 -0800
On 1/26/2014 10:58 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I have never actually looked at the DxO site, only seen its rankings referred
> to in other reviews. I have never based a purchase decision on those (or
> similar) rankings. I regard them the same away as stock analyst reports--pure
> entertainment.

I'd not paid them any attention at all until a few recent posts made me
curious. Now, unfortunately, they irritate,
rather than entertain.

> DPreview are better but their ratings are a bit questionable as well. But at
> least when reading the conclusions (and reading between the lines, since they
> will never call a camera or a lens a dog), one can get a pretty good idea.

Their ratings are slightly more useful, but just barely. The problem is that
they are trying to cover all bases, while,
inevitable, as they are human, paying more attention to what interests the
reviewer.

For example, I have no idea how many people fire off blasts of shots. I can see
where it could be an advantage for some
subjects/situations, but for virtually all of my photography, it's not of use.
(And when it might be, I don't remember
to use it, or am too late.) Yet every review comments on frame rate, and most
seem to include it as an important factor
in their scoring.

The advantage of relatively through, professional reviews like those at
dpreview and a couple of others is that the
comprehensive and consistent review methodology and presentation allows one to
do one's own rankings.

On a related note, I've finally discontinued my subscription to Pop Photo. I've
found for some time that there was less
and less content of use to me. Their superficial and useless review of the GX7,
shortly after I had looked into it
pretty exhaustively, bought one and used it a bit, sealed the choice. Among
other omissions, there was not even a
mention of the key feature of electronic shutter, let alone any comment on why
it is important and how it performs.

Un Ranked Moose