Re: [OM] OMD-EM1 offer

Subject: Re: [OM] OMD-EM1 offer
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:41:07 -0600
> I could print rather nicely up to A1 size @ 12MP.
> 16MP up to A0.

Nonesense. For anything larger than A3 you need at least 36MP. ;)

> 16 or 18? I don't see the difference, I like 4/3, so 18 on 2/3 is about the
> same as 16 on 4/3...

LOL, you caught me. I was wondering if anybody would. Yes, 18MP on 2/3
is what I'm referring to directly. However, there is the numbers game
and just as 5MP in the E-1 was the same as 6MP (actually more) in
APS-C, the pre-crop to more squarish format of 4/3 puts it behind the
psychological 8 ball. This is even more true now than ever before
because the old-school standard crops of 4x5 ratio have been going
away in favor of more long and narrow formats. Width is more important
now than before. For the typical home-town professional one-lung
photographer, the more squarish format of 4x5 is still easier to work
with and the requirements for anything more than 5MP are pretty much
nil anyway.

I personally consider 16MP the bare minimum for 4/3 format now. (new
camera purchase). Granted, that's our only choice. But that's also the
problem in that it is our only choice. In APS-C we've got everything
from 16MP to 24MP out there. Sony's 24MP sensor has some issues with
very short and wide lenses (Leica wide angle lenses), but certainly
does better with lenses with a reverse telephoto design, such as the
OM Zuiko wides.

> I don't need more pixels. I crop at the moment of capture, not in PP.

I've been reforming myself of this. As I'm so used to 35mm film and
the old E-1/DMC-L1, I too tend to crop at capture, but that's a
function of necessity, not necessarily desire. I'm getting better
results (and more photo sales) from stuff that is looser at capture
and gives room for different cropping for display.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx