Re: [OM] OMD-EM1 offer

Subject: Re: [OM] OMD-EM1 offer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 02:12:13 -0800
On 1/28/2014 8:19 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Very nice indeed. A real photographers camera. If they would ad IBIS and
>> there would be a 0,7x adapter for *all* my Zuiko's, I would be seriously
>> tempted.
> I believe we've FINALLY reached the point where we're seeing the next
> logical replacement to the DSLR happening. SONY has certainly been
> pushing it with their DSLR style mirrorless cameras that combine the
> best of both worlds, but the Olympus thing has all been about size and
> weight. I disagree.

See your disagreement, and raise you another couple. :-)

> I believe that mirrorless is about a logical advancement and application of
> technology,

In large part, yes.

> not a change in what a camera is supposed to look like.

Ow, mental whiplash! Didn't 35 mm cameras start out with the rangefinder form
factor? Then branch out to include the SLR
form factor? What new form factor has mirrorless introduced? They all look to
me pretty much like one or the other of
their forebears. OH! You didn't mean 'look like', you meant size:

> Small and Light only satisfies some photographic needs.

Gotta disagree here, again, with General Assertion.

And? The same for high ISO, macro, film, teles, WAs, flash, all the various
characteristics of cameras, lenses and
accessories.

One chooses the combination that best meets one's photographic wants and needs.
You like larger cameras than I do.
Neither preference dictates universals like "what a camera should look like"

I'm in (to reference another thread) hog heaven with my small, light gear. You
are in various, rapidly changing,
imaginary, digital heavens and Bacon Film Heaven.

> ... I have no doubt that this really long
> silence from Canon is them actually prepping the mirrorless camera
> that the Canon user really wants.

Having been a long time Canon user, unlike you, they lost me already. What you
propose they have been birthing for a
veeeerrry long time is not likely to bring me back.

> I'd certainly prefer a EOS-7DM or EOS-6DM to anything we've seen so far.
> EOS-5DMKIVM? OMGY, I'll deal with SWMBO later.

Someone throw a bucket of cold water on him! He'll be OK, and off at another
windmill, soon enough.

> The fact is that nearly all cameras with 18MP, and greater, will have
> a nice long-term play at this point. I consider the 2014 minimum
> standard for future-resistance (three or more year ownership life) to
> be 18-24MP. 16MP sufficient?

There's no meaningful difference between 16 and 18. The theoretical difference
in linear resolution is only 6%.
Differences in sensor system pixel level renditions are bigger factors. Even
18-24, which may sound big, is only a 15%
increase.

> ..
>
> All eyes are on Canon.

All whose eyes? ;-)