Re: [OM] Approaching LaGuardia

Subject: Re: [OM] Approaching LaGuardia
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 06:53:42 +0000
You're probably right, Ken, but why take the risk?  I have always assumed that
the risk is as follows:

All electronic devices emit some sort of signal (I think that you told us
that); that signal is probably low in strength but it is unquantified for each
device.  Moreover the amount of radiation that would interfere with the
aircraft's navigation systems is unquantified but there is a risk.  Add to that
the risk of interference with the aircraft's (increasingly electronic,
non-mechanical) flying controls.

Since there is a risk that electronic devices would interfere with the
aircraft's systems, some of which are safety-critical, and since to assess that
risk would be prohibitively expensive, the airlines (or more probably their
insurers) have decided that they would mitigate the risk where it was most
critical: close to the ground and when the aircraft is in its critical stages
of flight.  Since the aircraft approaches and lands at normal speeds, they
allow us to use the devices until we start the approach (i.e. we are getting
close to the ground).  But on departure, they keep us off our devices until the
aircraft has resumed its normal climb speed; i.e. when it is out of the noise
abatement zone and not climbing at reduced power and speed (and therefore
closes to the stall).  If we had an airline pilot on the List he or she might
chip in, but perhaps ChrisT has an idea.

So, it doesn't bother me that they make these rules; but it does bother me if
some d*ck thinks that he knows best and keeps playing, despite the requests
over the PA.

But little cameras?  Surely there is no risk there, absolutely no risk.

Chris